Gwyn, Lord of Cinder is the final boss in Dark Souls and one of the original lords who vanquished the Dragons.
At the dawn of the Age of Fire, Gwyn discovered a Lord Soul along with Gravelord Nito and the Witch of Izalith, and thus became Lord of Sunlight. They allied with Seath the Scaleless and amassed an army, and with their power, challenged the Everlasting Dragons for dominion of the World. His mighty bolts peeled apart their ancient scales and they were ultimately vanquished.
When the flames began to fade, Gwyn left Anor Londo and traveled to the Kiln of the First Flame, to link the First Flame, thus prolonging the Age of Fire. When he left, he divided his power among his children, and granted parts of his Lord Soul to both the Four Kings and Seath. Much of Gwyn's army of Silver Knights accompanied him to link the Fire. When the flame was kindled it transformed those present into Black Knights, the disembodied spirits that roam Lordran. The remaining Silver Knights guard Anor Londo.
He formed the Four Knights of Gwyn: Dragonslayer Ornstein, the believed captain of the guard; Hawkeye Gough, commander of the Dragonslayers; Lord's Blade Ciaran, the assassin; and the legendary Knight, Artorias the Abysswalker.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 7-B | At least 7-B, possibly 7-A
Name: Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight, Lord of Cinder
Origin: Dark Souls
Age: Unknown, likely several thousand years.
Classification: Deity, Lord
Attack Potency: City level (Can kill the Chosen Undead in a few hits) | At least City level, possibly Mountain level (his bolts shattered the indestructible scales of the ancient Dragons. He later gave pieces of his Lord Soul to the Four Kings and Seath and so should be stronger than them.)
Speed: Supersonic (Comparable to the Chosen Undead) | At least Supersonic (likely faster in his prime)
Lifting Strength: Superhuman
Striking Strength: Class GJ+ | At least Class GJ+
Durability: City level (Can take hits from the Chosen Undead) | At least City level, likely higher.
Stamina: High | High
Range: Standard melee range, likely several hundred meters with bolts.
- Great Lord Set (armor)
- Great Lord Greatsword
Intelligence: Unknown but has retained incredible combat instincts. | Very High (led the other Lords and an army of Silver Knights against the Dragons)
Weaknesses: Gwyn is, interestingly enough, vulnerable to Fire as well as magic and occult weapons.
- Dashing Thrust: Used by Gwyn while he's dashing. Although it is one of his linear attacks, it is possible he may switch to a slashing combo midway. It is also one of his best attacks in terms of tracking the player.
- Quad-Slash Combo: Gwyn performs this attack in quick succession and solid tracking. It begins with an angled slash, then a horziontal one, another angled and finally a horizontal slash once more. The angled attacks can be sidestepped if the player moves early enough.
- Kick: Rarely used, however, it causes a large drain of stamina if it connects while blocking.
- Slash and Thrust: Occasionally Gwyn will interrupt his normal slash combo with a quick thrust afterwards. If it hits, the player will be stunned, leaving them open for further combos.
- Slashing Upper Combo: Starts with a powerful horizontal slash, which takes a large portion of stamina, followed by two more hits. The first two slashes can be difficult to evade.
- Charging Slash: A powerful slash used by Gwyn to break the player's guard.
- Instant Dash/Double Slash: A very fast attack, which comes out of Gwyn's instant dash when he glides towards the player before slashing twice.
- Explosive Hand: An unblockable grab attack that deals massive fire damage. It has a high horizontal hitbox, so it is possible to roll under it to avoid it. After knocking the player away, Gwyn will follow up with a jumping slash or dashing slash. It also leaves Gwyn open to attacks for a short time.
Key: Lord of Cinder | Lord of Sunlight